Changgyeong Palace is a palace located in Seoul, South Korea. Originally the Summer Palace of the Goryeo King, it later became one of the Five Grand Palaces of the Joseon Dynasty.

The palace was originally built as "Suganggung" by King Sejong for his father, Taejong, but in 1483 renovated and enlarged by King Seongjong at which time it received its current name.

During the Japanese colonial period, the Japanese built a zoo, botanical garden, and museum on the site. In 1983 the zoo and botanical garden were removed. Like the other Five Grand Palaces, Changgyeonggung was heavily damaged by the Japanese, previously having been destroyed by them in 1598 during the unsuccessful Japanese invasion of Korea.


Share profile: